News Manitoba

Minor fender bender? Don't bother calling police

Minor fender benders will no longer require drivers to file a police report, Attorney General Andrew Swan announced today.

Collisions will only be reported to police if a fatality, serious injury, unlicenced driver or vehicle, unidentified vehicle, or suspected impaired driver is involved.

MPI will advise claimants on whether police need to be contacted.

The changes to the Highway Traffic Act go into effect Monday, Oct. 10.

"These changes respond to a request from the Manitoba Association of Chiefs of Police to streamline the accident reporting process so they can better utilize their resources," said Swan. "Law enforcement officers have told us their resources could be directed to other areas in order to best serve the public."